Attention New MWR Patron Groups!
Welcome aboard to our USCG TRACEN Cape May Guest Quarters! With the new 2020 authorizations we have had a lot of questions about eligibility. Hopefully the following information will help you understand what we require here at TRACEN Cape May.
Highlighted areas are the requirements for our DHS USCG MWR rentals that will help guide you through the process.
The info has been shortened for USCG MWR rental information only.
“Implementation of Purple Heart and Disabled Veterans Equal Access Act of 2018”
MWR New User Groups
New user groups eligible solely under this act:
• Veterans who were awarded the Purple Heart
• Veterans who are former prisoners of war
• Veterans with service-connected disabilities (SCD) with VA certified ratings 0-90 percent
• Caregivers or family caregivers of veterans must be enrolled as the primary family caregiver in the VA’s Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers. Eligibility limited to caregiver’s active appointment period (one year; renewable)
• Family members of these new patron groups are not eligible to rent-only the member with/without the caregiver can rent.Family members may accompany them, but the military member will be responsible for guest actions.
Eligible Veterans who are eligible to obtain a VHIC, must obtain a VHIC marked “SERVICE CONNECTED,” “PURPLE HEART,” or “FORMER POW” from the VA.
• To check VA health care enrollment eligibility and to enroll, visit a local VA medical facility; call1-877-222-VETS (8387), Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m., Eastern Time; or apply online at www.va.gov/healthbenefits/enroll
Veterans Health Identification Card (VHIC)
• Note:All VHICs will show “VA Healthcare Enrollee”.Only Veterans that qualify for the special categories (Service Connected, Medal of Honor, Purple Heart, Former POW) will have that category printed on their card.
The old Veterans Identification Card (VIC)–is NOT authorized for use under this patronage expansion, ONLY the VHIC will be accepted.
Caregivers of Veterans
• Eligible caregivers will be issued a letter from the VA that indicates they are the primary family caregiver for a Veteran enrolled in the Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers
• For installation access, caregivers will need to show an acceptable credential (e.g., REAL ID-compliant driver’s license, U.S. passport) and their primary family caregiver letter.
Acceptable form of identification for installation access that MUST BE PAIRED with the VHIC or caregiver/veteran memos:
• Acceptable credentials may include:
– Veterans Health Identification Card (VHIC)
– DoD common access card (CAC)
– DoD uniformed services identification card
– REAL ID-compliant driver’s license issued by a State, territory, possession, or the District of Columbia (REAL ID has a star in top right corner)
– REAL ID-compliant non-driver’s identification card issued by a State, territory, possession, or the District of Columbia (REAL ID has a star in top right corner)
– Enhanced driver’s license issued by a State, territory, possession, or the District of Columbia
– U.S. passport or passport card
• Note:Real ID compliant driver’s licenses have a star at the top right corner of the card
How to get more information
• To learn more about the commissary, military exchange and MWR expansion, visit https://download.militaryonesource.mil/12038/M OS/Factsheets/expanding-access-fact-sheet.pdf.
• The new patron groups can check VA health care enrollment eligibility and to enroll, by visiting a local VA medical facility; call1-877-222-VETS (8387), Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m., Eastern Time; or apply online at: www.va.gov/healthbenefits/enroll.
We are not the POC for the VHIC issue process, please contact your local VA.
The old VIC, veterans’ driver’s license or DD-214 will not work, you will need a VHIC prior to renting our cabins.